We are blessed to participate in this holy sacrament of baptism with your family. We believe that by choosing to have your child baptized, you are being connected to the body of Christ, the larger church family of HPUMC. The baptismal covenant is connectional in nature, made in public, and witnessed by others who vow to support your family in nurturing the development of your child.
Please review this information so that you and your child will have a wonderful experience on this important day:
- At least one parent or grandparent of a child being baptized must be a member of Highland Park United Methodist Church. For information on becoming a member, click here.
- Complete the online Baptism form as soon as the baby is born.
- Pick a date, time and location for the Baptism by contacting Mary Bishop.
First timeparents must attend the Baptism Preparation Class: Second Sunday of the month from 11:00 am to 12:15 pm in room 387 (except for July). No registration is required to attend the class. Babies are welcome in the class or you may use KidCare.
- Please register your child for the Sunday School Nursery and they will be assigned a room.
- Sanctuary is available each Sunday at 9:30 am with Rev Paul Rasmussen or 11:00 am with
- Cornerstone is available the third weekend of the month with Rev Paul Rasmussen on Sunday at 11:00 am.
- Cox Chapel is available on the third Sunday of the month with Rev Victoria Powers at 8:30 am or Rev Matt Tuggle at 11:00 am.
- Kerygma is available upon request in room 120 with Rev Walt Marcum at 11:00 am.
- General: You may request Rev Susan Robb, Rev Ramsey Patton, Rev Arville McLain, or Rev Barbara Marcum to preside.
When should we arrive? For the sanctuary, please arrive 30 minutes early and come to Storm Lounge, room 241.
For all other services, please arrive 15 minutes early at your location.
Are pictures/videos allowed? No pictures or videos are allowed during the service. Pictures may be taken immediately after the service.
How many people may come to the altar with us? We encourage all family and friends to join you at the altar.
Are we allowed to leave during the service? The extended family and friends are expected to stay for the service. If necessary, you may return to room 241 or take your child to the nursery. Room 241 will remain open and we suggest the stroller and carrier be
Will I receive a copy of the baptism certificate? You will receive a baptism certificate during the next month, please check it for accuracy. If there is an inadvertent error, please contact Mary Bishop. This is a legal document and should be placed in a safe place for later use.
Cancellations: We understand if you need to cancel or your baby gets sick at the last minute. Please notify Mary Bishop.
Arrival – Sanctuary: We save the back row of the west and east transept for the immediate family (child, parents, siblings only). Please arrive 30 minutes prior to the service. A volunteer will meet you in room 241 (Storm Lounge) and take you to the reserved seats. They will escort you to the altar about five minutes into the service.
Your extended family (grandparents, aunts and uncles) should arrive 30 minutes prior to the service and line up at the assigned east or west transept to find seats. They are not reserved. You will be notified of your assigned transept the week of the baptism.
Arrival - All Other Locations: Please arrive at least 15 minutes prior to the service.
We Understand: We are accustomed to cries, coos and unexpected events that young infants and children bring to the day. If your child is older and appears to not want to go to one of the ministers, they may ask you to hold the child while they baptize them.
Note: Parking may be a problem, so please allow plenty of time