Outreach Ministry Coordinator - Focus Housing
General Purpose/Summary: The overall purpose of this position is to make sure that all HPUMC Outreach partnerships that address safe, affordable housing are in line with HPUMC Mission and Vision. Our goal is to make sustainable, measureable change in poverty in Dallas with a particular interest in increasing the availability of affordable housing.
- Normal office hours at HPUMC are 8:30am - 5:00pm Monday through Thursday and 8:30am - 12:00pm on Friday. This position requires flexibility in terms working hours as evening and weekend hours are typical. Habitat builds are on 32 Saturdays a year. While those are not always required working hours, this position is responsible for ensuring the success of those build days. Some presence on Saturday is an expectation. This position requires interaction with local non-profits and some portion of the work requires travel to those non-profits. All members of the Outreach Team will be expected to travel internationally occasionally.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities: Essential duties include the items listed below, plus other duties as required or assigned. Duties may be changed without notice.
- Work with Outreach Partners working in the area of affordable and permanent housing (Austin Street Center, Dickinson Place, Exodus, Promise House) to determine ways the HPUMC congregation can serve with them and support them
- Work with HPUMC members and partners to develop strategies to increase affordable housing solutions in Dallas
- Carpenters for Christ: Work with Carpenters for Christ coordinator to provide leadership for HPUMC's Carpenters for Christ/Habitat for Humanity ministry
- Work closely with Development Coordinator for Faith Relations at Dallas Area Habitat for Humanity to schedule builds, request support and develop a partnership
- Work with HPUMC's Serving Coordinator to fulfill volunteer needs for 32 Saturday build days/year drawing from HPUMC groups and individuals as well as SMU and corporate groups. These include: 40-100 people per day to build, 1 or 2 people per build day to stock and drive cargo van, coordinate meal donation for build days
- Maintain records of volunteers in Arena database
- Provide support for volunteers
- Field serving and donation inquiries throughout the year
- CitySquare: Build and maintain positive relationships with the CitySquare Leadership Team in order to sustain and grow our partnership
- Facilitate meaningful ways HPUMC congregants can engage neighbors through service and friendship at CitySquare
- Identify key HPUMC member’s partners to develop strategies to increase affordable housing in Dallas
- Cultivate potential HPUMC employers according to the needs identified by WorkPaths leadership
Supervisory Responsibilities: No supervisory responsibilities
Education: A Bachelor’s degree is required - Master's degree preferred. Education or certification in relevant field (social work, public policy, non-profit leadership, etc.) a plus
Qualifications: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Must clear criminal background check.
- Two years’ experience working in ministry or a social service organization preferred
- This position requires an understanding of the housing needs in Dallas County and in the US in general
- Advanced computer skills: Word, Excel, Arena, EventU, PowerPoint
- Proficient in writing, proofing and editing, occasional work with numbers
Other Skills and Abilities:
- Must have excellent interpersonal, customer service, communication and organization skills.
- A high degree of initiative and accountability is required.
- Ability to work both as a team player and independently with a high degree of initiative
- Good vision and hearing skills
- Must be able to travel on mission trips internationally
- Must be able to carry/lift more than 25 pounds
- Driving is required without passengers
Other Qualifications: Must be a committed Christian comfortable working in the United Methodist church environment. Our employees are called to lead a life that becomes the gospel, and we expect them to exhibit appropriate demeanor both on and off the job.
All HPUMC employees are required to work on our 2 biggest days of the year: Christmas Eve and Easter Sunday.
To Apply, please email all of the following to , specifying in subject line; Outreach Ministry Coordinator – Focus Housing, you will not be considered without all 3, which will be verified upon hiring:
- Your resume
- Your religious/church affiliation
- Your pay requirement & pay history
No calls, please.